For more than a decade, Teófimo López’s friendship with Rolando ‘Rolly’ Romero endured through amateur tournaments, Las Vegas sparring sessions and the mismatched peaks and troughs of two volatile careers. That friendship ended, López says, the moment they signed to fight one another.
On Saturday night at T-Mobile Arena along the Vegas Strip, the 29-year-old López will challenge for Romero’s World Boxing Association welterweight title. The former lightweight and junior-welterweight champion is moving up to 147lb in pursuit of a belt in a third division. For Romero, himself a three-weight belt-holder after stacking titles at 135lb and 140lb, a victory would add another marquee name to a résumé transformed by last year’s upset of Ryan Garcia. The fight will be broadcast globally on Dazn pay-per-view and will see the champion go off as a roughly 2-1 underdog.
López (22-2, 13 KOs), surely boxing’s most mercurial star, enters the fight seven months suffering a one-sided defeat. Shakur Stevenson won nearly every minute of their January encounter in New York with a virtuoso defensive performance, sweeping the scorecards 119-109 and snatching López’s World Boxing Organization and lineal 140lb titles before 21,324 spectators – a record crowd for boxing at the present-day Madison Square Garden. Stevenson controlled the distance and tempo from the opening bell and left López chasing answers that never arrived.
“I shouldn’t have taken the fight,” López told the Guardian this week. He said making the 140lb weight limit had become a problem and suggested his team had not been aligned in camp. His father and head trainer, Teófimo López Sr, has since said the defeat “saved” them. The younger López referred to “temptations and distractions”, without elaborating, and described the result as “the best thing that could have happened to us”.
“Sadly, it had to happen to me at that particular time,” López said. “But for us to finally get the wheels rolling again and come together as the dynamic duo we are, as father and son – when we’re on the same page and have the same vision and goal, we conquer it. We take over.”

The admission carries weight because López declared before facing Stevenson that the “hiccups” behind his uneven performances were over. Instead, an elite pure boxer exposed the disconnect between López’s ample gifts and his ability to access them consistently.
His formidable résumé makes the optimism difficult to dismiss. Born in Brooklyn to Honduran parents and raised in Florida, López vaulted on to boxing’s A-list in 2020 when he upset Vasiliy Lomachenko, the two-time Olympic gold medalist and three-weight champion at the time seen as boxing’s pound-for-pound best, then revived his career three years later by outboxing then-unbeaten Josh Taylor to become a two-division champion. A shock defeat by George Kambosos Jr and laborious wins over Sandor Martin and Jamaine Ortiz underline the erratic form around those career-defining highs.
There will be no soft landing on Saturday. Rather than take a rebuilding bout, López has moved directly into another title fight at a new weight. “It’s too late to dip my foot in and try to test the waters,” he said. “This is testing the waters. How can I consider myself ‘The Takeover’ if I’m not taking over?”
López says he has trained since February and asserted more control over preparations, emphasizing to his father that “it’s my camp”. The move to welterweight should ease the strain of making 140lb, although it raises another question: whether his explosiveness will carry up against heavier opposition. He has not stopped an opponent since Pedro Campa in 2022.
Romero (17-2, 13 KOs) presents a blunt examination. The 30-year-old won the WBA belt in May 2025 by dropping the heavily favored Garcia with a left hook in the second round, then boxing with unusual patience to earn a unanimous decision in a surreal Saudi-backed triple bill in Times Square. It was a marked departure from the recklessness that contributed to stoppage defeats at the hands of Gervonta Davis and Isaac Cruz.
The triumph did not bring Romero peace. He says wealth and fame left him miserable before a recommitment to Christian faith prompted a wholesale lifestyle change. “I was the biggest womanizer. I was the biggest trash talker, the most aggressive, the most violent,” Romero told reporters Thursday. “I done gave everything up for my love for Christ. I haven’t had sex in 14 months. I gave it all up till marriage. Y’all don’t notice I don’t curse no more. I don’t do anything anymore.”
“My relationship with Christ didn’t change who I was, but it made me a better man,” he said. Saturday will be his first appearance in 15 months and his first defense of the title.
López saw a more mature fighter against Garcia: one who resisted the urge to jump into exchanges and waited for openings. “We’re definitely going to have somewhat of a chess match in the beginning,” he said. “Once those punches start coming through, we’ll see how everything changes and how our bodies react.”
The styles suggest patience may not last. López owns the faster hands, more obvious athleticism and broader technical vocabulary; Romero is the naturally heavier puncher and more willing to hold his ground. Unlike Stevenson, Martin and Ortiz, who frustrated López with movement, Romero should be there to hit. He will also be close enough to hit back.

Their familiarity adds another variable. López says they last sparred in 2018 or 2019 and stopped after Romero caught him with an elbow to the nose. He insists the old sessions reveal little because both have changed. Still, the relationship was not superficial. López remembers Romero, then 18, “dropping and stopping dudes” when they met at the US Olympic qualifiers in June 2015.
Their support for one another extended beyond the gym. After López labored to a decision over Masayoshi Nakatani in July 2019, he told Romero he was considering quitting despite being on the verge of a title shot against the seasoned Ghanaian Richard Commey. Romero cursed him out and urged him to continue. Five months later, López boat-raced Commey inside two rounds to win his first world title aged 22.
A few years later, the support ran in the other direction. Romero was struggling financially while languishing under Floyd Mayweather’s promotional umbrella and, according to López, was not receiving as many fights as he needed. “I had just won one of my fights, and I was like: ‘Man, I’ve got you. No pressure,’” López said. He sent Romero $5,000 without being asked. Romero offered to return it, but López refused.
Romero now describes López as his “little brother”. López is less sentimental now that the bout is real.
“It disappeared the moment we signed the contract,” he said of their friendship. “He didn’t need to take it, especially after the layoff he’s had. The fact that he took the fight means he truly believes he can beat me. I take that as an insult to myself.”
Asked what he stands to lose after saying everything is at stake, López began an answer before rejecting the premise. “I don’t think I lose,” he said. “You just aim for greatness. That’s it.”
Saturday will determine whether that self-belief is the foundation of another López revival or another promise made before the evidence arrives. Either way, the friend who once received his help will be standing directly in his path.

1 hour ago
3

















































